The Kostamon kyläseura ry:n (Kostamon villages association) covers the areas of Patovaara, Perävaara, Kostamo and Myllykumpu. Kostamo villages received the honorary mention of the Lapland Village of the Year in 1997.

Kostamon village association

Koillis-Kemijärvi Game Wardens Association


KUMMUNKYLÄN KAUPPA: Kostamo’s first shop was a mixed goods store founded by the tradesman Paavo Anttila in the early 1920s. Paavo Anttila had run away from Uhtua. The shop was located on the old side of Wilhelm Manor in Kummunkylä. Kemijärvi Osuuskauppa No 9 started its operations in the same premises. The first shopkeeper was Helmi Kangas. At best there were three shops in Kostamo. The building is no longer visible.

ISONVIHA REMEMBER STONE: located in Sortoselkä, about 4 km from Pahkakummuntuete Potaskantie to the turn-off at the end of the road, from there to the monument about 300 m eastwards. There is a large stone with a slab at the site.

WILHELMIN KÄMPPÄ: An early 1920s clay mansion, later bought by Juhani Malmberg (Vihriälä) to be turned into a meadow hut, which later served as a base for forestry and ploughing work across the Kalkiais River. In the autumn of 1944, the cabin was occupied by a few refugees from the Lapland War and their livestock. The hut is located along the Kalkiaisjoki river, 9 km from Junnikantiet, where Ahmakummuntie turns left. Follow this road for 4.1 km and at the bend to the right there is a sign for Ville’s cabin, where the marked trail begins on the left. It is about 1 km to the cottage.

KOSTAMO SCHOOL: The building logs for the elementary school had been purchased by the municipality on behalf of Ylikylä, from where they were floated to the Vuostimo sawmill, from where they were further sawn and floated to Kariniemi. From Kariniemi the timber was driven by horse to the Kostamusperä canvas. It should be mentioned that school-age children of the time collected moss, which was dried and brought to the building site for a sack fee. The school started in 1928 as a three-form entry school and operated until 2005. Today the school is owned by a private entrepreneur and is used by village organisations for their meetings.

YOUTH SOCIETY: Built in 1927. Situated along Mäkipirtintie on the right side of the hill. The house has been used to this day as a meeting place and event venue for the Youth Society and other village associations.

KARINIEMI: The Kariniemi has become a recreational area for villagers as a result of rationing. It includes boat and ship docks, a beach, a rest area and a base for beach events. Kariniemi is located at the end of the Kummunkylägi road.

PERÄVAARA RECREATIONAL CENTRE: Once a popular dance floor on the site of Perävaara, the newer Perävaara Amusement Centre was built in 1967-68. Still owned by the Kemijärvi Workers’ Association, it is a popular summer dance venue. The premises have also been used by businesses, including the Salora tuning factory.